In 1992 the MoMA Design Store introduced the original Sky Umbrella by legendary graphic designer Tibor Kalman and Emanuela Frattini Magnusson. This collapsible umbrella's exterior gives away nothing more than a plain, black canopy. Once opened, the interior reveals a cheerful blue sky dotted with fluffy, white clouds. The umbrella's surprising blue-sky interior echoes the playful career of Kalman, whose work is featured in the Museum's collection. Kalman once again used the visual motif of the Sky Umbrella in a 1995 issue of Colors, an award-winning global magazine where Kalman served as the founding editor-in-chief. The umbrella conveniently folds to a small size, making it easy to transport and ideal for travel. Made of sturdy nylon with an automatic open/close mechanism.
Defying expectations, the Sky Umbrella's black exterior hides a bright, sunny pattern on the inside. That surprising blue-sky interior echoes the playful career of Tibor Kalman, whose work — including a Talking Heads album cover and a paperweight resembling crumpled-up yellow legal-pad paper — is featured in MoMA’s collection.
Tibor Kalman and Emanuela Frattini Magnusson
Year of Design
Item successfully added to cart!
- KAWS: HOLIDAY COMPANION Vinyl Figure As low as HK$1,580.00
- KAWS: HOLIDAY Mount Fuji Plush As low as HK$1,880.00
- Self-Watering Pots Regular Price HK$298.00 As low as HK$149.00
- Murakami Flower Plush As low as HK$1,208.00
- Dual-Sided Recycled Leather Placemat Regular Price HK$158.00 As low as HK$79.00
- HAY Frotte Bath Towel Regular Price HK$339.00 As low as HK$237.00